Friday 30 August 2013

Plant of the Moment – No. 14 Phlox paniculata 'Eva Cullum'

 

Phlox paniculata ‘Eva Cullum’ was introduced in 1978 by the revered Norfolk nurseryman Alan Bloom, who named it for his then head of retail at Bressingham Gardens and Nursery. 

The shocking-pink flowers, with carmine centres like a smudged 70s lipstick, are set off beautifully by maroon stems and dark green leaves.

In common with other selections of P. paniculata they are highly scented; never more so than on a warm, still evening, when I have been stopped in my tracks as I try to pin down the exact source of the at-once familiar yet strangely exotic fragrance.

I'm sure there are those that would look down their noses at this admittedly none-too-discreet plant, but I love Eva for her sheer joie de vivre.



No comments:

Post a Comment